Von allerley Turten. Pg CLXXVIb
Of all sorts of Tarts.
2. Take the seed of raisins out/ when you make turten of raisins.
3. Crushed Hungarian plums are also a good filling/ stir crushed cinnamon thereunder/ you may serve it cold or warm/ so it is in both manners good.
4. Take Hungarian plums green (meaning fresh) or dry/ do the seeds therefrom/ so they are good for preserving.
5. Take black wineberries (black currants)/ crush then/ and do many egg yolks thereunder/ and a little sugar/ stir it therewith/ so it is a good filling for a Turten.
6. Take apple(s)/ peel and chop them small/ sweat them in butter/ give
crushed cinnamon/ sugar/ and black raisins/ thereunder/ stir it well together
so it becomes a good filling.
7. Take pear/ peel and cut them quarterways/ or nicely wide and thin/ lay them in the Turten/ with cinnamon/ sugar/ and a little butter/ so it will be good and welltasting.
8. Apricot Turten/ take the seed out/ (you) may press them through (a sieve) or preserve them whole with cinnamon and sugar.
9. Peach Turten/ press them through/ or put them in whole with cinnamon and zugar.
10. Sour cherry Turten/ put the seed therefrom.
11. Sour cherry (Prunus cerasus) Turten seasoned with cinnamon and sugar. Or take the sour cherries/ and press them through/ do grated bread from a loaf therunder, so the filling becomes stiffer.
12. Strawberry Turten/ if they are fresh/ so make them in whole with cinnamon and sugar. But if they be not fresh/ so press them through/ put grated bread therunder/ so the filling will be stiffer. You may put butter therunder or not/ so it is in both manners good.
13. Take gooseberries/ make them with sugar and black grapes (black currants)/ so it is good and welltasting.
14. Mulberry Turten seasoned with cinnamon and sugar.
15. Black huckleberry (or blueberry) Turten seasoned with cinnamon and sugar.
16. Take eggs and flour/ press it through a hair-fine sieve/ and the milk has scalded/ so stir in the dough/ when it has cooked (baked?)/ so do butter therein/ let therewith simmer/ till it becomes nicely thick. You may make it sweet or sour/ so it is in both manners good.
17. Spinach Turten. Take spinach/ and soak (or cook) in water it/ press it well out and chop it small/ grate parmesan cheese and loaf (bread) thereunder/ also nutmeg/ crushed pepper and egg yolks/ and fresh unmelted butter. Stir it all together/ and do not oversalt it. Make (put) the filling in the Turten/ and do not put a lid therover/ when it is baked/ so give (serve) it whole or cut into pieces/ as you want it.
18. Take grated almonds/ season them with rosewater and sugar/ so it is also a good filling for a Turten/ and (you) may warm or cold give it to the table/ You can also well take small black raisins theunder. So one makes almond Turten.
19. Grate Parmesan cheese and other cheese/ that is hard and not rotten/ mach it up with eggs/ and good fresh butter/ so it is a good filling in a Turten. And make no lid thereon/ that one may see/ that it is a cheese Turten.
20. Take a roast Ox-tongue/ chop it with small black raisins/ cinnamon/ sugar and egg yolks/ so it is a good filling.
21. Take rice/ and cook it in water/ take black wine berries (black currants) therunder/ and sweat together with butter/ make it sweet with sugar/ and put it in a Turten/ and give it warm to the table/ so it is good and lovely.
22. Seville orange (Citrus aurantium) Turten/ peel and cut them nicely wide (thick?)/ and bake it quickly in an oven/ give it warm or cold to the table/ so it is in both ways good and welltasting.
23. Take green peas/ and do them from the pods/ make them in a Turten with fresh butter/ so it is good and welltasting.
24. Take roasted chestnuts/ peel (shell) them/ and make them in a Turten with beef-marrow/ and give it warm to the table.
25. Take apples/ that are chopped small/ as one prepares them for a Turten/ make a dough and nice white flour/ with warm water/ and do not make it too thick. On the bottom make a leaf of eggs and butter/ so the dough becomes more tender/ put the apple filling thereon/ take the dough / that you made from water/ pull it with the hands nicely thin/ like a veil/ and take such leaves twenty or thirty/ on one another/ and brush each leaf/ before you lay it on the other/ with fresh butter/ and when you have stacked them/ so cut them nicely round/ and push in the oven and watch (you) don't burn it/ so bakes it quickly/ and the leaves rise (?) well. But if is it on a meat day/ so brush them with bacon/ that has been rendered/ and give it warm to the tale/ sprinkle it with sugar/ so it is pretty and dainty/ And so one makes the Hungarian Turten.
26. Spanish Turten from a blancmange with many leaves/ that one brushes a (each) leaf with butter or bacon/ put warm on the table and sprinkled with sugar.
27. Take cutting herb(s) / and poach (or soak)/ press well out the water/ and chop it small/ press the broth well away/ and season the herbs with sour cream/ with egg yolks and good fresh butter. And also one can make the filling from white herbs (cabbage?)/ and one calls it Kraut Turte.
28. Take the brains from a calves head that has been cooked/ and take thereunder grated loaf/ and green welltasting herbs/ that are chopped small/ and also crushed ginger/ fresh butter/ and several eggs/ stir it together/ so it is a good filling in a Turten.
29. Take blancmange/ make it up with egg yolks/ so it is good to a Turten.
30. Take roots (beets/turnips/carrots )/ that have been fried/ chop them/ and prepare them with butter/ and do not oversalt them/ so it is a good filling for Turten.
31. Spanisch crullers or fritters with many leaves of blancmange.
32. Take fried onions/ that have been peeled clean/ and put black wineberries (black currants) therunder/ make it sweet/ so it is good and well tasting.
33. Take blackberry (or boysenberry)/ make them also in a Turten.
34. Spanish crullers (or fritters) with many leaves of spinach.
35. Spanish crullers/ fritters of apples and beef-marrow.
36. Turten of currants.
37. Take blanched almonds/ cut them thing and longways/ put black grapes (black currants) thereunder/ and make it sweet with white sugar/ and bake it in a Turten/ till the dough is done. Put also rosewater under the almonds/ so it is a good Turten of almonds.
38. Take red Melten (a green leafy plant that may be similar to spinach)/ and poach them/ chill them out clean /and press the water well out/ chop it small with fennel/ and stir under new fresh cheese/ that was made over night/ (under)/ with fresh butter and some/many egg yolks/ stir it all together/ and do not oversalt it/ so it is a good filling for a Hungarian Tutren.
39. Take spinach/ that has been nicely trimmed and washed clean/ cut it nicely small/ and rub it with salt/ wash it again (in) six or seven waters/ press it out well/ that the water is removed from the greens/ take new cheese/ that was made overnight/ some/many egg yolks and sour cream/ that is nice (and) thick/ fresh butter and salt therunder/ stir it together/ so it is a good filling.
40. A Turten of Dates.
41. Make also a Turten of pine nuts/ small black raisins mixed thereunder/ and made nicely sweet.
42. Roll out a dough/ like you have made into a Turten/ and roll 2 leaves (sheets) out/ Onto the one leaf lay apples/ that have been cut into quarters/ and lay butter thereon/ afterwards place the other leaf over the apples/ make it closed/ and trim (the excess dough)/ beat an egg well/ and brush it therewith/ set it in the oven/ and bake it/ and cut it open/ and put sugar and cinnamon thereover/ stir it all together under the apples/ cover it again with the lid (upper crust?)/ and give it warm to the table, so it is a good apple Turte.
43. Take a Turten dough/ roll it out thin/ and trim(cut) it nicely found/ like an eagle or like a heart/ make a wreath (border or edging) around it/ slide into the oven and bake it/ take it out again/ and take fried (baked) apples/ that have been pressed through a hair(fine) sieve/ and seasoned nicely with cinnamon and sugar/ spread over the baked dough/ sprinkle it with small Confect (sugar coated spices)/ and give it with the fruits (course) cold to the table.
44. Take a dough/ of which you make Turten/ roll it out nice and round and thin/ brush it with fresh butter. Take grated Parmesan cheese/ and sprinkle the dough therewith/ pull into the oven/ and let it bake/ and let it cool/ so it is a good cheesecake.
45. Roll out a Turten/ and take grated Parmesan cheese and grated loaf/ beat it with egg yolks and butter/ put whole almonds and raisins thereunder/ also small black raisins/ that have been washed clean/ and sweet cream/ that is nicely thick/ stir it all together/ and do not oversalt it/ fill the Turten therewith/ and do not put a lid (top crust?) thereover/ push it into the oven/ and bake it/ moisten a brush in warm butter/ and brush the Turten therewith under the bottom(???I don't see how) and on top/ that it glistens nicely/ let it get cold and so one bakes Easter flatbread.
46. Take a dough/ of a type you make Turten from/ roll it out nice and thin/ and cut an eagle or a heart out/ brush it with rosewater/ and sprinkle it with crushed white sugar/ push into the oven/ and bake it/ and stay with it/ till it is baked/ because it burns quickly/ give it cold to the table/ ze???